This course explains what Autism is, the various types and, as a spectrum problem, emphasises that many types don’t tick or follow all the medical boxes. It includes:
· How do Autistic people see the world?
· Emphasising that there are many degrees of the Autism spectrum
· How Autistic people communicate,
· What risks there are and how to deal with them
· Recording and reporting,
· How to manage the symptoms and help the person,
· Different names for Autism
· Basic overview to help the carer give the best “Duty of care” to the service user and how to deal with difficult times.
Discussion and role play are used to help the students have a deeper insight into Autism and to practically gain knowledge first hand.